Osler’s Health Industry Group is uniquely positioned to meet the challenges and opportunities of today’s rapidly evolving health industry. Our lawyers have extensive expertise in providing seamless and integrated advice on all facets of a health industry client’s complex and specialized needs. Our group draws on the talents of seasoned professionals who are regarded as leaders across a broad range of legal disciplines including health law, charities and trusts, competition law, construction and infrastructure, corporate governance, banking and financial services, intellectual property, labour and employment, litigation, pensions and benefits, privacy, taxation and technology.
We advise public and private health industry providers, institutions, private businesses, agencies, health professionals and associations on every aspect of the public and private health industry sectors. Our Health Industry Group practitioners act for hospitals, long-term care facilities, independent healthcare facilities, private clinics, health professionals, family health teams and health-related professional associations. We also represent pharmaceutical, biotechnology, life sciences, veterinary, drug, natural health products, food and medical device manufacturers on a variety of health industry issues including transactional, regulatory and administrative matters. We also advise not-for-profit and charitable corporations on concerns that are unique to their sector.
Our Health Industry Group is recognized for expertise and experience in the health field including:
- Providing practical and legal advice on the complex healthcare environment including navigation of the Canada Health Act, the Charter, various Provincial healthcare services regulatory regimes, Provincial health insurance regulations, regulated health professional colleges and government ministries, agencies and programs.
- Advising healthcare institutions on regulatory compliance, corporate governance, risk management, physician privileges, physician relations, quality of care reviews under QCIPA, consent and capacity issues, privacy (including comprehensive and integrated advice on PHIPA and PIPEDA), the regulated health professional colleges, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, LHINs, coroners and police matters.
- Representing and advising healthcare institutions on restructuring, affiliation agreements, alternative funding arrangements, distribution agreements, service level agreements and government reimbursement plans.
- Consulting the private and public sector in respect of governance advice for outsourcing including the establishment of shared service corporations for supply chain management, data centres, laboratories, pharmacies and PACS imaging.
- Representing and advising long-term care facilities on regulatory compliance, transactions and administrative matters.
- Advising healthcare institutions, funders and builders on major infrastructure and public-private partnerships/alternative financing and procurement (P3/AFP).
- Facilitating dealings with Canada’s regulatory agencies and boards (including Health Canada), and matters of regulatory compliance and government relations; advertising and marketing; packaging and labelling; product liability (including class actions); product recalls; and government inspections and enforcement actions.
- Representing and advising pharmaceutical, biotechnology, research organization and life sciences clients in licensing, development, manufacturing, marketing, sales and distribution of biologics and biopharmaceuticals, prescription and OTC pharmaceuticals, natural health products, medical devices, technology, e-commerce and cosmetics.