- Yale Law School, LL.M. (Fulbright Scholar)
- McGill University, LL.B. and B.C.L.
- University of Toronto, B.A.
Mahmud Jamal’s national litigation practice includes the defence of class actions, banking litigation, constitutional and administrative law, aboriginal litigation, competition/antitrust, pension, tax, copyright and other regulatory litigation. He has argued thirty-five appeals before the Supreme Court of Canada as counsel to a party or intervener in a wide range of civil, constitutional, criminal, and regulatory areas. He has also argued cases at all levels of court in Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta, Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, at the Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal, and before federal and provincial administrative tribunals such as the Competition Tribunal, the Ontario Energy Board, and the Financial Services Tribunal. He is a former law clerk to the late Mr. Justice Charles D. Gonthier of the Supreme Court of Canada and to Mr. Justice Melvin L. Rothman of the Quebec Court of Appeal. Mahmud is bilingual and has litigated trials and appeals conducted in French.
Mahmud is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee, which oversees the overall strategic direction of the firm.
Numerous industry publications describe Mahmud as being widely regarded by clients and peers as one of Canada’s top litigators in the areas of class actions defence, competition litigation, commercial litigation, Supreme Court and appellate advocacy, and constitutional and administrative law:
- Chambers Global (2015) notes that Mahmud “is well regarded for his public law, constitutional law, competition and banking litigation expertise. One source said: "He's a very, very smart guy. He has that raw intelligence but also the analytical skills and ability to break down tough problems.””
- Benchmark Litigation Canada (2015) describes Mahmud as “a peer and client favorite, as well as, it is observed, a favorite of judges, in the class actions space. “If a brief comes through with Mahmud’s name on it, judges will show a rare level of deference”” and notes that “his ethics and intellectual acumen are unassailable;” "widely touted for his handling of a variety of commercial litigation matters, focusing primarily on class-action defence work" and ""commands respect from bench and bar alike", enthuses a peer. "I have personally witnessed judges express delight when they come across a file with Mahmud's name on it"" (2014); ""a stellar thinker and he is taking Oslers' class-action practice to a national platform"" (2013).
- Martindale-Hubbell ranks Mahmud as AV Preeminent, its highest rating, and quotes client and peer research describing him as “a top drawer lawyer with a superb Supreme Court of Canada practice” and as “courteous and very professional.”
Mahmud is also regularly listed for litigation expertise in various categories in The Best Lawyers in Canada, the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Lexpert’s Special Edition on Canada’s Leading Litigation Lawyers, and Lexpert’s Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada.