- Yale Law School, LL.M. (Fulbright Scholar)
- McGill University, LL.B. and B.C.L.
- University of Toronto, B.A.
Mahmud Jamal’s national litigation practice includes the defence of class actions, banking litigation, constitutional and administrative law, aboriginal litigation, competition/antitrust, pension, tax, copyright and other regulatory litigation. He has argued thirty-ﬁve appeals before the Supreme Court of Canada as counsel to a party or intervener in a wide range of civil, constitutional, criminal, and regulatory areas. He has also argued cases before the courts of Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta, Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, at the Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal, and before federal and provincial administrative tribunals such as the Competition Tribunal, the Ontario Energy Board, and the Financial Services Tribunal. He is a former law clerk to the late Mr. Justice Charles D. Gonthier of the Supreme Court of Canada and to Mr. Justice Melvin L. Rothman of the Quebec Court of Appeal. Mahmud is bilingual and has litigated trials and appeals conducted in French.
Mahmud is an elected member of the ﬁrm’s Executive Committee, which oversees the overall strategic direction of the ﬁrm.
Numerous industry publications describe Mahmud as being widely regarded by clients and peers as one of Canada’s top litigators in the areas of class actions defence, competition litigation, commercial litigation, Supreme Court and appellate advocacy, and constitutional and administrative law:
- Chambers Global (2015) notes that Mahmud “is well regarded for his public law, constitutional law, competition and banking litigation expertise. One source said: "He's a very, very smart guy. He has that raw intelligence but also the analytical skills and ability to break down tough problems.”
Chambers Canada (2016) similarly describes him as “a great lawyer who is smart, thoughtful and well-written.” Chambers Canada (2017) notes that “Mahmud Jamal oﬀers signiﬁcant experience in class action litigation, including before the Supreme Court. One source enthused: “He is certainly regarded as being exceptionally bright. He’s very focused and writes extremely well. He’s on all of the major cases, he takes a leading role in drafting documents and he has a strong presence in court”; “Mahmud Jamal has a broad practice which encompasses regulatory litigation, class action defence and taxation. He also has notable experience handling appellate advocacy and has appeared before the Supreme Court of Canada on numerous occasions. He is described by sources as “a strong lawyer who has a lot to oﬀer.”
- Benchmark Litigation Canada (2017) notes that “In the class actions space, perhaps no lawyer comes more revered by peers, and, to hear some peers tell it, by judges, than Toronto's Mahmud Jamal. "I have personally witnessed judges express delight when Mahmud's name shows up on a file," insists one fellow Toronto litigator. Earlier editions described Mahmud as “a peer and client favorite, as well as, it is observed, a favorite of judges, in the class actions space. “If a brief comes through with Mahmud’s name on it, judges will show a rare level of deference”” and notes that “his ethics and intellectual acumen are unassailable” (2015); "widely touted for his handling of a variety of commercial litigation matters, focusing primarily on class-action defence work" and ""commands respect from bench and bar alike", enthuses a peer" (2014); ""a stellar thinker and he is taking Osler’s class- action practice to a national platform"" (2013).
- Martindale-Hubbell ranks Mahmud as AV Preeminent, its highest rating, and quotes client and peer research describing him as “a top drawer lawyer with a superb Supreme Court of Canada practice” and as “courteous and very professional.”
- Mahmud is also regularly listed for litigation expertise in various categories in The Best Lawyers in Canada, the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Lexpert’s Special Edition on Canada’s Leading Litigation Lawyers, and Lexpert’s Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada.