Osler is home to “a spectacular IP department.” Our top-ranked Intellectual Property team is renowned for its diverse strengths, including excellence in IP litigation; expertise and innovation in patent and trade-mark prosecution; portfolio advising and management; and unmatched experience in helping realize the value of IP portfolios in mergers, reorganizations and other business transactions.
Osler’s Intellectual Property team is also “one of the most sought-after teams in Canada for general IP litigation” – notably, two members of the team are among a select group of Canada’s “top cross-border litigators.” This international reputation for excellence in Canadian IP litigation has been built on our winning trial record representing some of the world’s largest generic pharmaceutical companies; technology, biotech, life science, electronics, consumer products, entertainment, sports, food services, franchise and many other international and domestic innovators in resolving their ongoing patent, copyright and trade-mark disputes in Canada. Clients, large and small, come to us initially for our deep legal knowledge, counsel and scientific and technical expertise, but they repeatedly recommend us to colleagues and other professionals because we offer the following:
- Client Service Excellence: Unmatched responsiveness, accessibility and service.
- Project Management: Meticulous and efficient management of matters.
- Corporate Experience: The expertise of a core group of the IP team that spent years working in the corporate environment, which enhances our ability to provide practical, efficient advice and service.
- IP Technology: Long-standing and continuing investment in IP technology, which allows us to respond accurately and rapidly to clients on all questions related to ongoing or historical matters.
Osler’s Intellectual Property Department offers IP expertise and service across a breadth of specialty areas, with significant expertise in areas as diverse as biotechnology; aeronautics; chemistry; and mechanical, chemical and software engineering. Ask us about:
- Copyright litigation
- Patent litigation
- Trade secret litigation
- Trade-mark litigation
Patent, Copyright and Trade-mark Prosecution
- Due diligence
- Transactions involving IP
- Licensing and other commercial services
- Industrial design
- Patent portfolio management
Copyright and Trade-mark
- Domain name litigation and UDRPs
- False advertising
The range of leading Canadian and international companies for which Osler secures IP protection and manages IP portfolios and/or represents in litigation proceedings include the following:
- Air Products Canada, Ltd.
- American Eagle Outfitters
- Bayer Healthcare L.L.C.
- Caterpillar Inc.
- DNA Genotek Inc.
- Eddie Bauer Licensing Services LLC
- Enablence Technologies Inc.
- Foster’s Group Limited
- GreenCentre Canada
- Laricina Energy
- Mercatus Technologies Inc.
- Matrix Laboratories Limited
- Microsoft Corporation
- Mylan Pharmaceuticals ULC
- NBA Properties, Inc.
- Phillips 66
- Re:Sound Music Licensing Company
- Sears Holding Corp
- Standard Innovation Corporation
- Starbucks Coffee Corporation
- Stanley Black & Decker Inc.
- Tyco Healthcare/Mallinckrodt Inc
- Wrangler Apparel Corp.
- 3M Company