Andrew is a civil engineering graduate whose practice includes work in international and Canadian construction and infrastructure matters.
His project experience includes advising on public-private partnerships and alternative ﬁnancing and procurement.
The projects he has worked on include those relating to transit, schools, airports, railway stations, highways, roads, waste water treatment plants, water treatment plants, transmission lines, nuclear power plants, windfarms, power plants, office towers, data centers, hospitals, manufacturing facilities and warehouses.
His work includes the following:
- providing strategic advice.
- project planning and project risk assessment and analysis including the pros and cons of different procurement models, project delivery systems, pricing mechanisms and standard form agreements for construction, engineering and architectural work.
- preparation of bid and request for proposal documents including evaluation criteria.
- preparation of procurement evaluation guidelines and procedures and participation in the review and evaluation of bids and proposals as a part of the client’s procurement process including the preparation of internal bid and proposal evaluation reports and presentations.
- preparation of long form and short form template agreements, individualized agreements and supplementary conditions for CCDC and CCA standard forms for construction agreements, design build agreements, construction management agreements, EPCM agreements and EPC agreements.
- preparation of equipment or material supply agreements and purchase orders.
- preparation of master agreements and work authorizations for construction, engineering and architectural work (individualized or using supplementary conditions in conjunction with standard form documents).
- preparation of individualized architectural, engineering and consulting service agreements and supplementary conditions for OAA, RAIC, PEO and ACEC standard forms.
- preparation of agreement terms dealing with commercial matters including insurance, lump sum, unit price or cost of the work pricing mechanisms, escalation provisions for pricing, contract incentives and disincentives, key performance indicators, liquidated damages regime and assisting in the preparation of scope of work documents.
- aligning the agreements with project circumstances and requirements and risk profile of the client.
- work closely with internal and external stakeholders to co-ordinate and reflect legal, technical and commercial requirements and comments in the agreements including the preparation of briefing notes and presentations for senior executives and providing up date briefings to senior executives.
- preparation of “owner playbooks” or “owner manuals” summarizing key provisions and procedures in the agreements and training staff on their use and advising clients on internal changes to deal with these agreements.
- providing contract administration and other advice to the client during the project implementation phase.
- providing construction lien advice in the context of the Construction Act.