Osler is proud to take a leading role in supporting and promoting diversity within our firm, in the legal industry and in our communities. We respect that each individual is unique, and we recognize, welcome and celebrate these individual differences. We aim to ensure that all of us can “bring our full selves” to work and achieve our full potential. And we strive to provide an inclusive, collaborative and supportive professional environment that nurtures and values a collective force of unique talents and viewpoints.
By embracing difference, not only do we offer a better work environment, but we deliver better solutions to our clients. The solutions that emerge from diverse teams and perspectives have proven to be the most creative and open pathways to success. Diversity drives innovation, which enables us to find new solutions to complex problems and provide the highest quality legal services through a broad range of perspectives.
Led by our Diversity Committee, our diversity initiatives start from within, and extend beyond our firm through our community and pro bono involvement. Along with its primary focus on internal firm objectives, our Diversity Committee’s aim is to promote diversity in support of our clients and in the institutions from which we recruit our talent.
How we support diversity
We actively participate in a wide range of diversity initiatives to create real and lasting change, either through internal firm programs or in collaboration with our clients. This includes sponsoring community programs, getting involved in volunteer and pro bono activities, and hosting events, such as our annual Pride celebration, which we co-host with the Bank of Montreal.
Recent client-facing activities include the following:
- We recently conducted our third demographic survey on the diversity of our firm. The survey data helps us to develop initiatives that best respond to the needs of our firm and our increasingly diverse client base. We started this biennial survey in 2012 and believe we were one of the first law firms in Canada to do so.
- We created a unique first-in-Canada reporting tool called the General Counsel Dashboard, which enables us to report on diversity and inclusion at Osler at the matter level and support our clients’ diversity objectives both strategically and in a measurable manner.
- To support industry’s and clients’ diversity efforts, we worked with the Institute of Corporate Directors to develop the Board Diversity Policy template. This complimentary tool can be used as a starting point to assist boards in meeting their gender diversity disclosure requirements. It offers companies simple and standardized diversity policy language that users can tailor to reflect each company’s unique circumstances.
- For the past three years, Osler’s Corporate Governance Practice Group has published a report on the diversity disclosure practices of TSX-listed companies to help shine some light on the TSX’s “comply or explain” diversity guidelines.
Recent diversity recognition
- In recognition of our diversity and inclusion efforts, Osler was named one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers (2017) for the second straight year.
- Osler’s longstanding Diversity Committee Chair, Douglas Rienzo, was recognized by Lexpert’s Zenith Awards 2016 for his leadership in diversity and inclusion.
- In 2016, we were named the recipient of the Corporate Diversity and Leadership Award by the Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers.
- Osler was also named the first recipient of the “Law Firm Award” by the 2016 Women in Law Leadership (WILL) Awards and awarded “Best Firm in Canada” by Euromoney Legal Media Group in connection with its 2016 Americas Women in Business Law Awards.
Learn more about the many ways we foster diversity through community involvement, pro bono initiatives and our internal employee benefits and programs, such as our Legal Professional Resource Groups.